Wednesday, March 16, 2011

my naive thoughts on love

I realized something while watching Love and Other Drugs.  There has been a huge shift in movie 'romance'. Gone are the days of boy meets girl, chases after her, sings a few sappy love songs, falls in love, and gets married. We definitely don't pan to the sky after the kiss any more either... I miss those days... I wasn't alive during those days, but I miss them.

Now it's meaningless sex first, realization of something more, one or the other gets scared, break-up, allusion of commitment, roll credits.  I realize this shift happened a long time ago. I mean Julia Roberts was a prostitute, but at least she and Richard Gere kept their clothes on the majority of the movie.

I can't accept this. This is the message we are putting out as the norm. That this kind of relationship is the best case scenario couples can hope for. Lead with sex, hope for romance.
Talk about a fairy tale.

I know people think I'm naive because I want the guy to climb the tower and save me. I want him to fight for me. I also want him to talk to me and treat me like an equal and listen to what I have to say and fight with me when I'm completely off base and hold me accountable and lead me but have faults of his own, and need me.

I know its asking a lot. but I would rather wait for him than have meaningless sex hoping for romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment